Gas Log Sets: A Fantastic Way to Revive an Old Fireplace
If your home or business has an old wood burning masonry fireplace that doesn't see much use anymore, you may want to revitalize it with a set of gas fireplace logs. These fire logs have been a popular choice for renovations and restorations for decades because of the quality and value they provide. Gas logs for fireplaces are a growing area of the home hearth market, with many manufacturers looking to capitalize. This can make it a challenge to find a quality set of fireplace gas logs for your home.
Fortunately, you've come to Fireplaces Direct for your home hearth needs. We've curated a selection of only the best gas log suppliers on the market, ensuring that every product we carry is one we're proud to offer. When you shop with us, you can buy confident in the knowledge that your gas fireplace log set is designed to provide excellent service that will last for many years to come. To aid in your shopping experience, we've collected some useful tips and information about logs for gas fireplaces below.
Why Buy a Gas Log Set
The long time popularity of gas fire logs is almost unmatched in the home hearth industry, and for good reason. These smart units offer a great deal of utility, quality and value. They're especially popular for homeowners looking to bring an old masonry firebox back to life during the renovation of their house. While each and every customer will have their own particular needs, those who buy a gas log set for an existing fireplace tend to do so for these reasons:
- Convenience - The primary selling point of gas fireplace logs is how easy and straightforward they are to both install and operate. As long as you have a fuel supply and a large enough firebox, the log set is a cinch to install.
In addition, compared to the work it takes to build a wood fire and clean smoke buildup and creosote out of a wood burning chimney, gas logs are a snap to use. Many can be controlled via remote or smartphone, making them quick and convenient to start up whenever you like. When you use your fireplace more often, you'll get more value and utility out of it, improving any space.
- Versatility - Another great benefit of gas logs is the variety of options available to customize them to your needs. No matter what size, design, style or feature set you're after, there's almost certainly a gas log set in our inventory that will suit your project perfectly.
- Appearance - While many don't want the trouble and mess of a wood burning fire feature in their home, the look of a stack of natural logs burning away is still in high demand. When you purchase a high quality set of fireplace gas logs for your home, you are able to truly elevate the decor of whichever space the fireplace is in. Features like ember beds, powerful burners and decorative media complete the look in a way that brings the homey feeling of a real fire to your living space.
What to Consider When Buying a Gas Log Set
While we carry only the best brands and products in the hearth industry, we recognize that not every item we sell will work for every customer. We take pride in ensuring every person who shops with Fireplaces Direct gets just what they need, so we've compiled some helpful info to consider. To ensure you find the gas log set that best meets your needs, keep the following in mind while shopping:
- Size - The primary restriction you should keep in mind when buying gas fireplace logs is ensuring the log set is the correct size for your existing firebox. For each product, the manufacturer will list the required clearances. You'll need to make sure your space meets those clearances for the width, height and depth to guarantee the safe operation of your log set. Another size consideration to keep in mind is that a gas log set that's too small won't give your fireplace the kind of look you're hoping for. We recommend purchasing a log that that's as close to the maximum safe size for your firebox as possible.
- Fuel Type - Gas log sets are available in either propane or natural gas configurations. The two fuels are not interchangeable, so it's important to ensure you purchase a unit designed for the fuel type your home uses. Generally, if your fuel is delivered via a municipal or energy company fuel line, it will be natural gas. Propane, on the other hand, will come from a tank on your property in most cases. We recommend working with a licensed gas plumber to address any uncertainties about fuel types to keep you and your home safe.
- Price - Fireplaces Direct offers a curated collection of the top brands and models in the industry, which means the prices on our products do tend toward the higher end of the market. That said, we do still offer options across a range of price points, so there's still something for almost any budget. It's important to keep in mind that when you spend a bit more on a quality product, you're investing in a quality experience designed to last for many years, and you'll save money in the long run compared to a cheaply made fire feature that needs to be replaced in short order.
- Features - With the variety of gas log sets in our inventory, there's sure to be at least one model that offers all the benefits and features you're looking for. Keep an eye out for any or all of the following: remote and app-controlled operation, radiant heat logs, safety pilot kits, decorative stone and embers and especially realistic flame presentation.
- Ventilation - Gas logs are designed for either vented or vent-free use. Vent-free log sets tend to provide more heat, but they're not allowed in all locations. Be sure to refer to your local codes before purchasing a vent-free unit.